Sunday, September 29, 2013

We Are the Fiend Club

If any of you cared about why your pal Sarah was absent Friday it was because I left to visit Caitlin in SUNY Purchase a day earlier than I expected. I stayed there for two nights gaining what is called 'my first college experience' that wasn't a tour. I saw Megan Haug and Mike Hand there too. I have come to the conclusion that everybody just wants to know your name in college. They amount of introductions I made for college strangers is many. Just an odd observation I made. They want to know your name and meet everybody even if you never see them again. Maybe I felt this as an introvert odd and unnecessary. Sometimes I wish I wasn't so introverted. I think I tend to come off as really shy or scared to be social when really I just don't talk unless I feel like I have something to add to the conversation. I don't feel like making useless ramble just for the sake of conversing. I think shyness and introversion are two different things.

The real reason I visited Purchase was because I wanted to go to a concert in the surrounding town, White Plains and Caitlin provided me with a place to stay. Misfits were playing at a tattoo convention in White Plains that Saturday, so I went and dragged Caitlin along with me. I definitely mentioned it before but the Misfits are one of my favorite punk bands. I love the theatricality of them, most likely because I was raised on Queen. They are also the progenitors of the punk subgenre Horror Punk. If you don't know this about me I am obsessed with Halloween, probably because I'm born in October (mark your calenders October 18th is coming sooner than you think). Their songs have a horror and science fiction film theme. Some examples of this are the songs: American Psycho, Astro Zombies, Die Die My Darling, Teenagers from Mars, The Abominable Dr. Phibes, Night of the Living Dead, and Hollywood Babylon. Their iconic logo is taken from the film Serial The Crimson Ghost which is also used as a title for a song. They themselves are considered to be icons for punk music and culture.
When I saw the Misfits concert there was not a lot of people there. I think this could be because it was in upstate NY rather than NYC.The venue itself looked like a high school auditorium which gave the show some funny juxaposition. Somehow I was at the barricade the entire show. The sound guys for the show were kind of horrible, so bad the second band got really mad at them (I still can't hear), but they got it together for the most part when Misfits performed.Going back to the theatricality of them the stage went from:
to

and


 Something about concerts makes me feel very much alive. I was singing every word and at first I wasn't sure if it was just his eye makeup but Jerry Only was watching me for most of the show. For those who don't know, Jerry Only started the band in 1977 with Glenn Danzig and has played bass for all these years while so many band members came and went. He is the only current member that has been there from the start and now provides vocals for their shows. Right after the show Jerry Only came out and did a meet and greet. When I saw him he immediately puts his hand up for a high five saying "You were singing every song! You're awesome". Going into a hug for a picture he sang 'my girl' to me and kissed my head and then had me kiss his cheek. I felt like I met punk royalty and felt rather starstruck! The merch guy then gave me one of the signed posters for free. I feel like luck could not be more in my favor that night. I  was thinking about putting "Jerry Only thinks I'm awesome" on my resume but I decided against it.





No comments:

Post a Comment