Sunday, September 15, 2013

Charlotte's World Wide Web

My search into crowdfunding projects started me off here:
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/creating-for-my-kids
I found this guy in Mineola! Didn't expect to find somebody so close. I hope I bump into him in real life his art is pretty cool. His name is Gene DeCicco and his goal is $800 dollars so he can purchase a computer monitor that you can directly draw onto so he can pursue his dream in being an illustrator so he can provide for his family. He starts off by providing a childhood story that explains how art became so important to him. Ideas we can take from this can be in what we give to those who fund us. He is giving out sketches of anything you want, superhero drawing of you, full color drawing and comic, having the funder appear in the comic he is working on, and a pop culture painting of what you request. I think a lot of what we can give back is art commissions.

After looking at that I went back to IndieGoGo's front page and I found this interesting project
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/designing-the-world-s-first-floating-city
A floating city! How cool, I kinda want to live on one. Best part is that they have already achieved their goal of 20,000 dollars. Each dollar given will be matched by another foundation. I wish STAC had some organization that would match any funds we got. To be honest the "perks" to be amazing. I think people will donate purely because the cause itself is super interesting not so much because they would like something in return.

I then came to
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/escapist-artist-gallery-studios
I love what these guys stand for. They want to help escape the stereotype of the struggling artist. They want to give back to other artist because they see a lot of successful artist not helping out other artists. They want to teach artists how to become successful on their own. They want to build an artist training ground. They want to provide mentorship for free. They are from Houston, Texas so their accents make me laugh a little but they really have a great idea that I do hope they succeed in getting. They are offering art prints, tshirts, coozies, bracelets,an art book, name written on some sort of honorary wall. They come off as really nice people with a nice goal in mind. If I had money I would want to donate to them.

I went into "most funded" and look into the ones that need saving
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/save-ps-gallery
This is for saving a gallery. The PS Gallery in Missouri successfully achieved their goal of $40,000! I think what was really good about this is how well everything was shot. From their photographs in the info section to the filmography in the video. This is something I think STAC can definitely do. What they gave in return for funding was: t shirts, tote bags, photography prints, oil paintings, hand made jewelry, name recognition and gift card for an ice cream shop nearby. I think we can use fabric paint and make our own little tote bags. Interesting idea but I'm not sure if that will cost more money than it will help us profit.

Something else that gave me an idea for STAC did not come in the form of a crowdfunding project but came in the mail.
Since I am a senior my mailbox and my email is being flooded with colleges trying to tell me how I am a 'stand out student' that should apply to them (of course I'm pretty sure everybody gets these and I am not so special at all). However one thing that actually made me interested in their college was this:
I got this neat-o book from the School of Visual Arts. Very eye catching in design and had a little pink tab on the top reading "SVA is...". I think that is how we should make a crowdfunding video: with the basis of telling them what STAC is... and then why STAC needs you...
Inside was not only a synopsis of each major but also a ton of examples of work from people in that major at their school. The work in there itself gave me ideas for art I wish I could  make, which then leads me to thinking that I could make cool stuff like that if I went to SVA. I'll bring it in tomorrow if anybody wants to look at it.
SVA seems very good at branding itself which is what I would hope seeing as it is an art school.


No comments:

Post a Comment