Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Die Monster Die

Tis' the season to be spooky fa lalala la lalalala
As the self proclaimed patron saint of October I am very excited for this month. Just a few reasons why it is the best month of the year:

  • Halloween
  • New York Comic Con
  • National Pizza Month
  • My birth (October 18th don't you forget it)
  • season of harvest
  • it actually feels like fall
  • Halloween 
  • Halloween
Since I was absent on Friday I watched Frankenstein (1931) in the safety of my own home. Although film has really progressed from ten years earlier when Nosferatu was made I can clearly see the influences and see the expressionism in it. I mean look at it!
Watching this I found myself routing for Frankenstein's creation despite it being a dangerous, murderous creature. Something about him made me want to befriend him, not treat him like dirt as Fritz does in the photo above. Maybe because he is the outsider and everybody gangs up on him in the end or those small moments where he is feeling joy (such as throwing the flowers in the water). Is that normal of me? Or is everybody on the townspeople's side?

Maybe it is because the copious amount of times I watched Alvin and the Chipmunks Meet Frankenstein where the monster "Frankie" was at heart a nice being, just misunderstood. I kind of want to watch that movie again. That was really good.
File:Alvin and the chipmunks meet frankenstein vhs cover.jpg

On a similar note look what I  got for Valentine's Day this year!
I am in love with Barnes and Nobles fancy covers for classic books. I have one of Sherlock Holmes too.

2 comments:

  1. Poor monster, right? It isn't the Chipmunks, it's that the monster is a very sympathetic character. A lot of it is Boris Karlov - he's excellent.

    We discussed the film last friday. The key question is what is the movie about. What do you think it's about? Or what is its aboutness? As an example, Star Wars' aboutness is "A boy comes to grips with his destiny," while its "isness" is "A boy helps interestellar rebels destroy the huge doomsday weapon og an evil galactic empire." Give me an answer...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is about a man dealing with the outcomes of his creation?

      Delete