Wednesday, September 11, 2013

I am an Anti Christ!


I am an anarchist!


For the talent show, the people who are doing fine arts are not so much going to be doing a group project as in 'let's paint a mural' or something but more coming up with our own little thing based around a prompt. We will use each other as a community. When coming up with ideas for a prompt, Ashley said that she was interested in culture and she wanted to paint an old Incas woman. We eventually agreed to use "culture as our prompt". As first I was a little nervous for myself, I am super white and  I don't get very cultural (at home at least) except for food, maybe. I am mostly English, Irish, and Italian. I didn't want to draw Victorian clothes, I didn't want to draw a ton of potatoes or a Celtic dancer, and old Italian. Later on in the day while I was listening to Nevermind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols and thinking about macaroni, the idea came to my mind that I can use the punk movement in England for my project. That's culture right? I love all types of punk music: old, new, pop, post, Cali, NYC, UK. My favorite older punk band is probably Misfits but they are from New Jersey. Although it is largely disputed as to where punk originated from, the Sex Pistols were the ones who initiated the punk rock movement in England. Around that time England was in a recession, unemployment had been at its worst since World War Two. It is thought that punk came as a response to that and to a certain type of society. Although they only had one studio albums and four singles they are considered one of the most influential bands.
Sex Pistols


I actually got to see The Ramones' drummer Marky Ramone last Saturday. He played two songs with Fall Out Boy and it was so awesome. I was starstruck. Especially because I was close to the front in the Barclays Center's general admission. Ahh.




No comments:

Post a Comment