Saturday, January 5, 2013

Sugar We're Going Down Swingin'

   STAC trip to the city 2012/2013 numero due. When we showed up to the Armory I couldn't see a part of the building that didn't fascinate me. Everthing about that building seem so large when I am so very small. When I got into the room with the swings it took a few minutes to get a free swing but when I finally sat down and began to swing back and forth I couldn't help but grin. I feel as though I haven't genuinely smiled in a few months. I think that a good 80% of my smiles are forced to help the current situation. Everything in that room was nice and relaxing to me. When we left the Armory we took the subway to Bleeker St. this took us about an hour to do because the subway was so packed my group had to keep on waiting for the next train. I gave Lisa my kazoo so that kept us entertained for some time. When we got to Bleeker St. we walked to Pomme Frites. I did not know there was a place that was dedicated to fries until now. I got the smallest size and it was still a lot of fries.We then proceeded down St. Marks and began a journey to a record store. It was cold and it wasn't easy but when I finally got there I looked through the records and bought a CD. I finally got a physical copy of Showbiz Muse's first album. Lisa, Peter and I walked to the theater but we were too early so we ended up into this old print shop. It had old newspaper clippings and maps for sale. It was one of those stores that you never knew existed, and you didn't quite know how they stay in business because it didn't seem like a store people would come in and out of often. I love old things like the stuff they had there. I find old objects and photographs very interesting. I tend to go into antique stores in Vermont a lot with my dad and buy little things like old photograph tintypes and skeleton keys. We went to a gift shop called Random and found hilarious pins that said "I <3" and it then had the most random things you can think of somebody "<3"ing (I got I <3 Lanterns and I<3 Wheels).
   After that, it was time for King Kong. I noticed some mixed opinions on this. After the show Michelle asked me if I thought it was a hit or a miss. I think it was a nudge. It didn't deck me in the face and made me want to see it again and again like I feel with the Neo Futurists but I'm glad I saw it. It still left me feeling sad for Kong. How all he was trying to do was protect Anne but he died because of it. New York wasn't as ready for him as we thought. I really liked the use of the picture of Kong. I liked how there was no voice actor for Kong. I felt the picture was effective enough.
  Overall I really enjoyed the trip. It felt nicely paced, I didn't feel like I had to rush for place to place yet I was bored and cold for hours.

Now I must go start a kazoo band but before that I will leave you with some pictures (I took a lot of videos too). I still haven't gotten used to my new camera with the stalker zoom.














1 comment:

  1. "It was one of those stores that you never knew existed, and you didn't quite know how they stay in business because it didn't seem like a store people would come in and out of often."

    You sum this up so perfectly, with such a beautiful sentence. I ALWAYS wonder about this. How DO these wierd places stay i business, and who buys that stuff?? I love going in and looking, but I never get anything.

    Nice pictures - the blur is especially effective on the one swing picture with you and Danielle.

    You paid a lot of attention to scale on this trip; I find that very interesting. It never occurs to me to view the world that way, but it makes sense that you do, because you are somewhat diminutive. Is there an art project hidden in there?

    Luke

    ReplyDelete