Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Showbiz



While writing a paper on Mental Health Reform I decided to play Muse's first album Showbiz from start to finish. This doesn't sound odd or anything out of the normal to most of you I'm guessing, but it has been a while since I have listened to Showbiz from start to finish. I don't listen to full albums as often as I probably should. I tend to let itunes shuffle my music around for me because I don't like making decisions. I got slapped in the face with nostalgia. Muse was one of the first bands I really got into (My Chemical Romance was the first). By that, I mean the first bands I really found on my own and obsessed over by myself. I remember trying to show my cousins that video where Matt Bellamy called Dom Howard a wanker and me being the only one genuinely laughing. Until that I was only listening to the classic rock station all the time in the car, Pink Floyd, Queen, The Rolling Stones, Genesis, The Beatles, etc.because my parents dictated over the radio and the stereo. I never argued with them over that (except those few times I felt like a loser for not listening to z100 in elementary school).


   Muse is one of those bands that I understand, if people don't like them. They may not be for everybody, and that is fine. I know my dad doesn't like them and makes fun of Matt Bellamy's voice every time something Muse related comes up. But to me Muse is like home. There is some music that are like a party, or a riot or just fun to listen to with friends, but then there is the music that you find home in. I don't mean where you physically live when you leave work and school, a different kind of home. Does that make sense? A home with yourself. I wouldn't really say the mind home because sometimes the mind is terrifying, and sometimes the mind is the last place I would want to be but something near the mind. The heart? I don't think there is the heart. Love is only in your mind. Blood is in your heart. I think I am getting off track here. No matter what I am feeling this music is kind of a pat on the back or like Matt Bellamy, Dom Howard, and Chris Wolstenholme are all giving me a hand to hold onto. The hand you need to keep going on.

left to right: Chis Wolstenholme (Bass), Matt Bellamy (Vocals, Guitar, Piano, Keyboards, Synthesizers), Dominic Howard (Drums, Percussion)


You may have the honor/punishment of seeing my face tomorrow. I don't really feel 'better' but I feel like I can somewhat 'function'. If I come off as stupid to you it is because I coughed my brains out.

2 comments:

  1. Muse is a very cool group. Huge in England.

    You really write very well, and you have good, interesting thoughts. I think it is time for you to start reading some heavier stuff, book wise.

    It will be nice to have you back in class, oh little ill one!

    L

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way before Muse was a band called Killing Joke. Maybe. I dunno - these guys sound like a major influence on Mr. Bellamy and Co. I'm sure you'll hear it.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV-cYH8udSk

    ReplyDelete