Thursday, February 21, 2013

Always one step behind him, it's Brian Eno! Brian Eno!


This isn't a blog post about Brian Eno. He was mentioned today and I really like the song about him by MGMT:

I enjoyed watching/ talking about David Bowie and Beck in class today. Bowie is such a great artist yet I don't really quite know what to say about him on this blog post. I came in to this post thinking I had a lot to write but my brain has gone blank. I really love how he doesn't stick to one thing, but changes him and his sound all the time. That is one quality I really respect in artists. I mean, if you are going to make the same thing over and over again couldn't that be a waste of your time? You could have just left the world with the one thing and spend your time exploring other things. I think this is why I am afraid to pick one thing to focus on in college and to do one thing for the rest of my life. I hope I can do lots of things when I get older. Kind of like that magician I met who was also a police officer (but maybe I don't want to do that...). I also enjoyed watching Ziggy Stardust because I'm a softy for concept albums. I want to draw Bowie. He has such an interesting face. 
When talking about Bowie I can't help but think of that big framed poster of Bowie that was sitting in my bathroom for about 5 years. Bowie, my bathroom buddy.

I'm not sure how to reinvent myself. To get help I looked up the definition for reinvent.

Reinvent: Transitive Verb. \ˌrē-ən-ˈvent\

1. to remake or redo completely
2. to bring into use again
3.to make as if for the first time something already invented

I still don't know what I am going to do to reinvent myself. I am afraid of reinventing myself wrong. I don't know what I want to do. I don't know if I want to work on art for this. Will I do some sort of live performance for this? I want to do something you can't talk about? I'm getting anxious because I'm afraid that after a week I'll see that whatever I do isn't the reinventing I wanted to do for myself. I think I'll have to sleep on this.

1 comment:

  1. Well, don't freak out too much. Reinvention can take many forms, and they aren't necessarily Ziggy Stardust huge. They can be simply veering in a new direction, or reappraising what you are doing and then moving from there.

    You already make art that is hard to talk about, so don't worry about that at all.

    ReplyDelete