Sunday, October 24, 2010

the city and the swans

The first thing my group did when we got to the city was spending a good amount of time in this little interesting cafe. The guy said "I can look into your eyes and see what drink you want" he told most people in my group what drink was meant for them, but for me I just said "Hot Chocolate please?". Of the avenues in alphabet city i liked Ave. B the best.
In alphabet city they had interesting things around, from graffiti, gardens, to inter sting shadows I liked. I just got a new camera for my birthday and I'm glad I got to fill it up with cool pictures!~

Once my group felt we were done with alphabet city we wanted to make our way to Bleeker St. but we didn't know how to. We thought we knew how to but we were lost going in the wrong direction. Thankfully a lady asked "Where are you trying to go? I can help you with directions if you need them". We told her were we wanted to go and she made a face "Well, you are no where need Bleeker. You probably need to take a subway to get there from here". We finally got to Bleeker St. and went to a couple stores and walked around that area where we came across a little market. I got a new cow hat there for only $10 [My other hats were 15 to twenty dollars]! After wards we found a little ramen restaurant and ate there. Then my group got lost again. My group figured that our phychogeography should be places we get lost. I forgot to mention: every time we got lost we found a place that was really cool. Eventually we got to the Pratt gallery and saw the physcogeography exhibit. It was cool seeing other people doing the things we are doing now. I liked the scent one the best because I got to interact with it and I thought the whole idea of that one was interesting. From there we saw the flat iron building and went to a park. Then it was time we start heading towards the theater. We then met up with part of another group [Shiana, Ellen, Elisa, and Ilana] and ate a diner. We walked to the theater afterwards.

Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake was not what I expected. I was actually awake! As far as comprehending what was going on I kept up with the main parts, the prince's sad life and his encounter with the swan. I personally think I understood the scenes with the swans more than the scenes at the castle. I am certainly no dancer, so I was really impressed with not only the choreography but the fact that all the dancers could pull it off! I read in playbill that a big misconception was they thought the swans would be in some kind of ballet drag with tutus and feathered head dresses! I think the costumes the swans had on were perfect, they weren't flashy but I could tell they were swans. Plus if they had on crazy costumes it would take a lot away from the dances itself. Overall it was amazing and the ending was so sad that I almost wanted to cry! I personally think its better with male swans!~


[I'll probably post the pictures in a different blog post because this one was lengthier than I thought it would be...]

No comments:

Post a Comment