Tuesday, October 15, 2013

In the Name of the Moon I'll Punish You!


This weekend I went to my yearly fun New York Comic Con. It is something that has just become a part of my year just like Christmas or Thanksgiving. I have been con going since I was in the 6th or 7th grade. I remember my first con I met Brad Swaile who voiced Light Yagami in the english dub of Death Note. I love the spirit of the cons even though there are an tons of different 'fandoms' I guess you could say, we all have this mutual appreciation for each other because we know we are both passionate about something that some categorize as "geeky". I don't know if I am just lucky but I have never had a bad encounter with people at a comic con. I even make friends there that I never see again after we part ways. Every time I am in a line I normally end of speaking to the people near me on line and find something to bond over, the same thing happens to me at concerts. Once we separate that friendship is over leaving only our memories. When I saw Fall Out Boy and Panic! at the Disco I made friends with these girls on the line and even ordered a pizza with them. I don't even remember their names!
This New York Comic Con I not only did some shopping (a treat yo' self kind of day) bur I also went to the Archer panel, saw the first episode of the new season and the later on a DC panel and John Barrowman's Q and A. If you don't know who John Barrowman is he is an actor who played Captain Jack Harkness in Doctor Who and even got his own spin off show Torchwood. He also does musical theater. John Barrowman's so funny I thought I was going to pee my pants. He told us a lot of funny stories of his life pranks and shenanigans he did with the Doctor Who and Torchwood cast, etc.  In the end his husband even came out as Superman and took him away.
 The next day I decided to get a photo op ticket and this happened:
I can't believe this happened Captain Jack Harkness is my favorite Doctor Who character in the whole series and here is little ol me get squeezed by John Barrowman.
I also like to cosplay.I feel like cosplay is the art of putting something together to look like somebody else. Michelle Li put it as "cosplaying is a real ego-booster". Which is pretty right. When you dress up as a beloved character and have people keep stopping you to compliment you or take your picture you feel like you mean something, and that people think you look good (negative effects of this is that it takes a while to get from one side of the convention to the other). It also makes you feel like you are doing that character you like enough to dress as them some justice.
This year as I mentioned in earlier blog posts I was Sailor Moon!
In the name of the moon I will right wrongs and triumph over evil and that means you!!



(note: Some of these wonderful photos where taken by Michelle Li)
Michelle was Kiki from Kiki's Delivery Service:

Some other neat-o cosplays I came across and had enough time to take out my camera and ask them for a picture:
Bob's Burgers

I have a deep appreciation for Scarecrow cosplayers. Scarecrow is my favorite Batman villian and is not dressed up as nearly as much as the Joker, Batman, Harley Quinn, Posion Ivy.

I love this one
Another one I love. Sailor Venus as a Storm Trooper and Tuxedo Mask as Darth Vader.
I really love the anime Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan).


Hey there Ashley

More from the amazing game OFF


This guy was dressed as No.6 from The Prisoner (as show we watched in STAC). I looked at him got Shiana to look at him and then I went up to ask for a picture. He said we were the first ones go ask for a picture. He must be confused why two teenage girls know a British show from the 60s. At first we ask "Are your No.6" and he says yes. Moments later he comes back to us and so "no, I am not a number I am a free man!". 
Over all enjoyable as usual. I hope I won't be in college too far away next year and can still make it to New York Comic Con!


2 comments:

  1. What a fun post! Sounds like you had a blast. Comic Con and cosplay are interesting developments in culture - I love the ideas behind all this. And a #6! That is too cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! I too was at Comic Con and had a blast! I almost got a Stan Lee bobble, but alas, it floated by my head, as did the Stan Lee signed Spider Man Comic. But I met a really cute girl, so it was hardly a loss of a day!

    ReplyDelete