Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Spent a period learning how to pick up a hat.

Today's acting class with Luke was very interesting, not exactly what I expected. We did a lot about expectations, how no matter what something is always going through our minds, even when we are told to stop thinking. We did a lot of acting more naturally, instead of worrying about become a character we should just act, because we will never truly be the character. Then Luke had us all act as we are stealing a hat from somebody or someone. When we went up at first we were way to fake and overdoing it. When I went up to try at first I wasn't even trying to steal the hat I was imaging myself sneaking a box of cookies upstairs (something I do quite often), in the middle I realized it was a hat and was trying to change the story in my mind, which made me lose it. After trial and error I think we all learned a lot today!

1 comment:

  1. 1) Forever Lazy is sick. THat needs to be pointed out.

    2) Making the hat cookies is within your power. But the thing is, you cannot force yourself to believe and see the hat as a box of cookies. That's crazy and stupid, isn't it? Crazy stupid things will kick your logic in and pop you right out of the scene.

    3) If you need the audience to believe the hat is cookies, then you need a clue - like someone having the line, "Quick, take these cookies," and then tossing the other character the hat, and then the audience knows, "Ok, the hat is now a box of cookies." Now, as the actress, you no longer have to deal with the concept of cookies, you just deal with the hat.

    4) Now, why do you need to change the hat into cookies to make it work? Are the two things so different?

    5) Eventually, taking something, stealing something, is simply stealing something.

    Does this make sense?

    It is always a pleasure to teach you.

    Warm regards,
    Luke

    ReplyDelete