Thursday, September 8, 2011

My heart on a wall.

   My thought when I heard about what we were doing, I was a bit skeptical to be quite honest. I had this wall blocking me for the first ten minutes telling me "Hey you like that? Why? You're such a weirdo." I'm kinda of used to hearing that by now, but sharing it with everybody on a wall, WITH SHARPIE? I'm generally not that self conscious, I'm generally always myself but for some reason the idea struck me as well, unsettling.  But, after maybe two minutes I just kinda thought fuck that, it should never matter what others think about me.
   The thought of doing something like this seem so simple, but it is a bit more complex than that. Then the ideas just flew out! Well, not really, but you get the idea. The only thing stopping me was spelling, but actually did well as far as that goes. I personally think the best part was connecting it with the people around me, it felt good in a way, we connected as people, in the end we are not much different. It was very fun, talking about the things we like (along with cracking jokes here and there of course!) and stuff we enjoy. As much fun as it was doing it, the end product kind of bothered me in a way, it reminded my of those brainstorms I had to do before going on to an English essay. I would rather see drawings on the wall than words, but hey that might just be me.

6 comments:

  1. It was a pretty clever ice-breaker project, huh? Y'all working on a mural thinking that was the point, to make a mural. HAHAHA! Fools!

    No, seriously, there were/are a lot of layers to today's bit of deviltry. I'm glad you're finding them. Actually, everyone is finding them, so it is an exciting bunch of blogs I've been reading.

    Now, this quote: "I had this wall blocking me for the first ten minutes telling me "Hey you like that? Why? You're such a weirdo." I'm kinda of used to hearing that by now, but sharing it with everybody on a wall, WITH SHARPIE? But, after maybe two minutes I just kinda thought fuck that, it should never matter what others think about me. "

    SO, you run into this wall a lot. Is "fuck that" a new tactic to get past it, or is it an old one? I use it quite a bit myself, so I am certainly not judging, and I think you know me well enough after a year that I'm on your side always. So, tell me about this wall, and how you get over it,

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, basically I agree with you 100%! I also think the best part was connecting with the people around us. Being in STAC and all, we all clearly have a lot in common, so it's funny how easy it is to forget that we are all connected.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was kind of like the idea of the 'Edge of the Cliff", yes? We had to stop worrying about how strange or weird or 'heaven-forbid-different!' and just throw it away and jump off the cliff. Be yourself and have everyone else be there to catch you because WE ARE ALL A LITTLE STRANGE. Instead of saying 'Wow, you're such a weirdo.' it was more of a 'Groovy, that's cool.' We aren't allowed to be self-conscious anymore, because saying that someone else is weird is ridiculous because you have to be different to get into this. You have to be different to be accepted. I'm rambling. Cheers, Jessica.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also totally agree with you,
    ""Hey you like that? Why? You're such a weirdo." I'm kinda of used to hearing that by now, but sharing it with everybody on a wall, WITH SHARPIE? But, after maybe two minutes I just kinda thought fuck that, it should never matter what others think about me. " I had the SAME thought process going through my head.
    But now I really like what i wrote on the wall, It explains myself, which was the whole point of the project basically.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, I agree (I rather have pictures on the wall) a pictures worth a thousand words so all the words we write on the wall equal about a picture. Sarah, you aren't a wierdo you are the coolest person I know. I put some wierd things on that wall, and I learned how to spell Gryffindor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is like the third time I'm writing this post. I keep clicking backspace when I'm not writing and the page goes back and erases all the shit I've written.
    I know how you feel with your consciousness of social self. It's something that holds me back a lot and even determines things that I do. But, we all should remember that we're in Stac, haven of universal acceptance.
    The mural definitely looked more like a brainstorm than a piece of art. But not everything that happens in Stac doesn't have to be artsy or different from things in school. The mural and a lot of things in "normal school" (like brainstorms) force us to search within ourselves and help us to realize what we value the most. But, I do admit: color would've been nice.
    It was nice to meet you during the mural-writing, Sarah. Even though it gave life to the stupidest catch phrase. I won't even say it.

    ReplyDelete