Wednesday, April 16, 2014

I'm just a mood ring missing instructions.



My parents were away in Las Vegas over the weekend and they brought home for me a pack of Beatles guitar picks, shirt with the album cover from the Beatles' Revolver, and a mood necklace. Like a mood ring only around my neck. Shaped like a bear paw.

Easily I lost to what each color means but I like look at the colors change. But why do they change? It clearly isn't my mood.

So I looked into it.

The "stone" is hollow glass or quartz with liquid thermotropic crystals. These crystals respond to a change in temperature by twisting. By this process of twisting the molecular structure changes, changing the wavelengths of light absorbed or reflected. Although they are not telling me the mood I am in I think the fact that you can watch it change its molecular structure right before your eyes is pretty cool.

in order from warmest temperature to coldest the colors are:

violet blue
blue
green
yellow/amber
brown/gray
black

No comments:

Post a Comment