Tuesday, December 17, 2013

What.

Bo Burnham's new comedy special came out today! I may have mentioned it before but I saw his show last may and I must say I was laughing so hard that there was a point where my laughter would not suffice for what I was feeling and I started flat out yelling.

For this special he decided not to sell it or make any money off so he put the whole thing for free on his youtube channel and on Netflix. He jokes about it in the preview:

I find this a cool gesture but it is no surprise to me, Bo has always made connotations to disagreeing with how a lot of art is just for the buck, or to make some profit. The only thing he is really selling at the moment is his poetry book Egghead: Or You Can't Survive on Ideas Alone.
 
 One really great song he did about this very thing is called "Art is Dead" from his last show and I hope you listen to it:

 
I love Bo Burnham. He is my favorite 6 foot 5 child (not a child, 23 actually). He got started on Youtube and got picked up by Comedy Central when he was only 18. He can seem absurd on the surface but underneath there is so much knowledge to his work. I feel like Bo Burnham is really smart but sometimes it goes over people's heads or they believe too much in his stage persona. I had the pleasure of meeting him last May and I noticed he was a lot more introverted offstage. I personally liked that about him because I feel like I am the same way to some point. I am fairly introverted, but I feel that when presented with an audience that introversion goes away a bit or becomes less apparent. 
I look like a toe but take note that I am standing and he is sitting in this picture.
Compared to his past work I think What. is a lot more visual focused and more philosophical. Maybe if you like what you saw or heard here I would check out his earlier work too. You know, if you have the time. I understand hot commodity time is these days, believe me I do. If you don't have an hour to watch his whole special here is a clip from it. A song from the perspective of god.

 If you have an hour here is What. in its entirety:

No comments:

Post a Comment