Tuesday, December 3, 2013

"To a new world of gods and monsters"

- Dr. Pretorius in The Bride of Frankenstein

     
    Wow I don't think I was emotionally prepared for this movie. All the acting in it was so fantastic, every slight movement, facial expression, even the smallest glance put me in awe. Sir Ian McKellen is amazing on screen I can't even imagine how it will be to see him next week in Waiting for Godot. Starstruck already? The film starts off as this funny, kind of perverted old man but as time goes on it gets so much deeper you begin to feel his every ache and pain (which again can be attributed to the acting). Even Clayton Boone's (who is fictitious) character development, starting off as a dopey gardener to seeing him crying on Whale's floor was really good. I kept finding the smallest details that can connect to something said or done or even just a visual image popping up on the screen momentarily. The way The Bride of Frankenstein was weaved into the plot was done really well and it makes you look at the the 1935 film in a whole new way. I feel like the film would be a lot different for somebody who has never seen any of James Whale's films... maybe the interest in Whale wouldn't be as strong? Even though the film was necessarily about Frankenstein it was really tied to it like  using the sketch of Frankenstein with the message "Friend?" to clarify to Clayton what Whale's real intentions were. 
.
.
.
I feel like I still can't talk about this film properly. There was so much about that film that I still can't grasp into words. Maybe it is a poor memory or maybe it is what Joseph Cambell meant about the things we just can't talk about. Maybe I'll have it sit on the brain for some more time and come back to this.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment