Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Don't you laugh when the hearse goes by

or you'll be the next to die!


While doodling for a few days I ended up doodle people from this one dream I had; a dream I like enough to try to continue it in day dreams. The dream was something along the lines of a girl is walking her dog in the woods at night and comes across a guy carrying glowing rods into a spaceship long story short girl almost kills him and the crew but doesn't so they have her travel space with them. At some odd point the space they have to stop and borrow something from some floating spaceship that isn't really going anywhere. They go into that spaceship and enter a hot room full of teddy bears in sunglasses going along to old exercise videos. They go to the very humid cockpit and who is sitting there?
This old, skinny, black woman wearing a bikini, smoking. She is a bit batty.

And that is where I am at now as far as artwork goes.

Today I was looking at Francis Bacon's work. Dublin born painter known for his "bold, graphic, and emotionally raw imagery". I really like his work because it releases emotion and a lot of his paintings could be considered horrifying. I like morbid and sometimes sadistic art, it is like you can hear them scream (does that may be sound like a serial killer, I feel like I'm sounding like a serial killer here). I think I'm figuring out that emotion is a big part of art for me. That is why I like faces. That is why I don't really like painting a bowl of fruit (which of course I'm very willing to do in the name of practice).
Here are some Francis Bacon paintings:


Focusing on the subject of dark matter, I have always been attracted towards it. It could very well be because I was born in Halloween season. Since I was a child I have liked that kind of stuff. I have a grim reaper that has been hanging over my bed since I was in elementary school. I loved watching shows about ghosts and supernatural beings. One book series I used to love reading over and over was Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin Schwartz. You may or may not know it as 'that book with the creepy ass illustrations'. I was kind of thinking about the illustrations (done by Stephen Gammel) when looking up Francis Bacon.

this kind of art in books I read as a child
Since a lot of Francis Bacon's work looks like people who are tortured it also drew my mind to one of my favorite comics Johnny the Homicidal Maniac by Jhonen Vasquez (most known for Invader Zim). I have it if anybody would like to borrow.


Don't worry I am sane enough.


1 comment:

  1. WOnderful, lovely post! This is so perfect. When we discuss things like your lineage, like where you place yourself as an artist, it is in the family tree you sketched out in the post. Does that make sense?

    L

    ReplyDelete