Monday, May 12, 2014

I am making a film. With my brain. Michelle's brain is also there. We are working together.

At first I had a list of little promts for films. I was pretty lost, the only thing I knew I wanted to include was deadpan humor. I felt stuck and unproductive because I'm used to jumping right into the work with fine arts and even acting but making a film needs more stitting and thinking. Grace came to me for advice and anfter giving her some ideas to help her project my mind was flowing more and I was able to go from "vampire dinner" to "dogsitting a werewolf". I then bumped into Michelle who seemed to be feeling the same way I was feeling so we decided to join forces. Working with another person is very helpful when this is the first film you are planning/writing/directing. She helps me not get stuck on some things and move in different dirctions. When brainstorming we were mostly thinking of funny things we can do with our characters, which is fine and gets brain juices flowing but it does not create a solid plot that an audience would invest in. After talking to Luke about our film we realized we needed something on the line for the dogsitter:  a dogcatcher, parents, werewolf wants to kill, etc. We eventually statrted talking about having two wereparents go away on a hunting trip during the full moon leaving their werechild with a next door neighbor. I was a bit concerned about the idea at first. I was afraid we were going to make it so the werewolf's only goal was killing and I feel that would take away the fun of the character. My favorite horror films are not a complete blood splatter fest with stupid cheerleaders but monsters with some character to them. That is why I prefer the older horror films to current horror. Michelle cleared up my worries saying that it wasn't going to be as a was apprehensive about. Hooray for partnership and community!

Right now we have to work on making a clearer got, and once we get that have a script written out.

No comments:

Post a Comment